Monday, 3 February 2014


Well, I finally have a couple of things to show and I’d better show the more interesting one first!!

BUT, before I get going, I have had the most annoying problems trying to upload the photographs to this post (the first time ever I've encountered problems!) - I tried yesterday and again today and in the end I've only managed to do it by 'copy & pasting', which I know isn't the proper way of doing it, but I have at least managed to get the photographs on to the post! The quality of them though has suffered - has anyone else been experiencing similar problems???

SO, introducing ‘Gustav’, my little woolly bear:


Apologies for the colour – the photographs were taken in the evening under electric light, so the colours are bit brighter than true – he’s a bit darker in reality. Gustav is from a pattern designed by Megan Wallace - you can find her on Etsy here. He should be made in real mohair teddy bear fur really, but I don’t have any of that, as I’ve never gotten into proper teddy bear making .......... although I have been thinking about it!! instead I’ve used some lovely mulberry colour 100% wool. I’ve used bits of gorgeous variegated velvet for the innards of his ears and for his hand and foot pads ...... I’ve also tried to grubby him up a bit to make him look a bit older – sorry if it’s not showing, but he looks quite cute in real life – Honest!! He’s even got his own metal name tag around his neck tied on to a piece of lovely yellow chiffon ribbon.


Anyway, I hope Gustav was of some interest to you, as sewing project number two is I’m afraid rather boring – on the face of it anyway! To me however, it is REALLY exciting, because it’s the beginnings of me having a dedicated sewing/craft room – YES!!!! Up to now, I’ve always used my dining room, which has been OK, except that whenever I’m entertaining, I have to do a mass clear-up ........ who out there doesn’t know what I’m talking about eh!! And as I seem to be entertaining more often these days, it’s becoming a bit of a nuisance. I live a smallish two-bedroom house and have always been reluctant to give up the spare bedroom over to a craft room, BUT, on the grounds that I sew far more than I have overnight guests, AND because I recently came up with an ideal solution, I’ve decided to go ahead with the conversion.

And the solution??? Well, it’s simply a fold-up guest bed, which folds up into a pouffe the rest of the time - it will live in the corner of my craft room and when I fancy a little sewing break, I can relax on the pouffe and watch TV, which will also be in the room. So ........ after a boringly long story, this is my second make

I bought 3 pieces of very firm foam and plain brown fabric from the market and covered them. I am pleased with it, as I managed to make nice tight covers and the firm foam makes for a very comfortable bed and seat. Eventually, I shall make an appliquéd, quilted cover to go over it to make it look more interesting.

This is the bedroom as it is now.

I need to get rid of the bed (and I think I’ve found a new home for it, which is better than sending it to the tip)! And THEN, bring in a work table and shelving etc. – can’t tell you how excited I’ve been recently anticipating this transformation – I’m very easily pleased you know!!!! so you must forgive me LOL

I hope very soon to be able to show another photo of my new craft room!


Deb said...

How exciting having your own sewing room. Being able to create and then just close the door on it is such fun.
I love love love Gustav, he is absolutely adorable.

Wendy said...

Hey Julia :)
Aaaw love Gustav! He's sooo sweet...
Very exciting news about the sewing room... can't wait to see what you do ... and very impressed with the 'spare' bed ;)
Hugs Wendy x x