Followers

Thursday 18 September 2014

Say hello to …….

Humphrey the Elephant!

Humphrey was a very popular greetings card character a few years ago – not seen so much now, but I used to buy lots of ‘Humphrey’ cards. This is one of the sketches they used to use:-

I made him from a kit I bought from ‘Create & Craft’ on the Freeview Shopping channel on TV – I just had to have him when I saw Debbie Shore making him, although I didn’t realise just how many separate parts there were ……. 25 individual sections to cut out and sew together! The fur is beautifully soft, although that made it difficult to work, but thankfully he still worked out quite well. 

The dungarees didn't come as part of the kit, so I had to make those up myself – really pleased with my bargain too – yellow corduroy for £1 a metre – and I only used half of it, so 50 pence they cost to make ……. Not bad eh? I had no plans for Humphrey when I ordered the kit, and I was going to keep him for myself, but while I was making him, I heard from an old neighbour that their little 3-year old girl has just been diagnosed with leukaemia, which is heart-breaking, so I think I know where Humphrey will be heading off to – I hope he manages to raise a small smile when he’s received!

My next finish is this wall hanging. 


It’s from a pattern called ‘Pleasantly Primitive’ by Kim Diehl from her ‘Simple Blessings’ book, The fabric is a random selection, but based on a similar colour palette used by Kim Diehl. I love it, and it’s now hanging on my dining room wall. The patchwork is by machine and the quilting is by hand for a more rustic/primitive look.

So pleased I managed to get something posted – it’s been a while!


4 comments:

Simone said...

I love Humphrey and I am sure the little girl will be thrilled to have him! I used to love the greetings cards with Humphrey on - such a shame that they don't seem to be around now. Your wall hanging is lovely. x

Mrs A. said...

I still have some decoupage kits of Humphrey. must get them out and use up. I love your cuddly edition. Hugs Mrs a.

Wendy said...

Oooooh Love Humphrey!! :)
He's totally Gorgeous, you're going to make a certain little girl very happy! :)
And oh my goodness what a beautiful wall quilt ... scrumptious!
Hugs Wendy x x x

Gail said...

I recently bought some Humphrey stamps. hahahaha! You are so sweet to put all that effort into this adorable elephant and then to give him to that poor youngster! And your quilt is fabulous. Lillian put a picture of her Tilda on her blog..I guess she liked her Christmas present last year! Thank you again for making the pink Tilda doll that I was able to gift to my BF! Your sewing is outstanding! Hugs, Gail